Parish Index | Home | Site Directory
Established March 31, 1807, this parish is one of the oldest settlements in the state. When John Law's colonists, Germans from the Alsace-Lorraine region, failed in Arkansas, some were persuaded to settle on granted lands in what is now St. Charles Parish, later referred to as the "German Coast". Bayou des Allemands is a reminder today of John Law's great colonization scheme. The German population soon mixed with French settlers from New Orleans.
The parish seat of St. Charles is Hahnville and the parish has as area of 283.7 square miles.
Tourist Attractions: Destrehan Manor.
St. Charles Parish, from Wikipedia
St. Charles Parish, from Enlou
St. Charles Parish, School Information
St. Charles Parish, Government Offices
St. Charles Parish, Quick Facts
To add more information about this parish, email Greg at louisiana101.com.
Copyright © 2009 by Greg English