Parish

Parish Index | Home | Site Directory

Established March 31, 1807, this parish was once called "Terre aux Boeufs" because it was the last refuge of the country's wild oxen. The first settlers established plantations in 1720. Under the Spanish rule, Canary Islanders, called "Islenos," were among the first to arrive. It was the first parish to grow indigo and sugarcane.

The parish seat of St. Bernard is Chalmette. The parish has a total land area of 465.2 square miles.

Agriculture: farming, commericial fishing and trapping.

Industry: Kaiser Aluminum and Chemical Corp., oil refineries, frozen foods, other diversified businesses, and dock facilities.

Tourist Attractions: Chalmette National Historical Park, Beauregard House Mueum, and Chalmette National Military Cemetery.


St Bernard Parish, from Wikipedia
St Bernard Parish, from Enlou
St Bernard Parish, School Information
St Bernard Parish, Government site
St Bernard Parish, Quick Facts


To add more information about this parish, email Greg at louisiana101.com.



Louisiana Map


Louisiana History (homepage)
Copyright 2009 by Greg English