Parish

Parish Index | Home | Site Directory

Formally organized on March 31, 1807, Ouachita was one of the original 19 parishes. Meaning silver water, it was named for the Ouachita Indians. Many mounds are found in the Ouachita Valley. Hernando DeSoto explored this rich territory in 1541. French settlers were here as early as 1720. among the large grants made by the Spanish were those of the Baron De Bastrop and the Marquis de Maison Rouge. The original parish was later divided into eight other Louisiana parishes. Among the early planters were Samuel McEnery, who became governor of Louisiana, Josiah Franklin, James H. Stephens, George W. Copley, John Hamblen, E.K. Ross, Ferdinand Morgan, John T. Cabeen, Robert Layton, Hypolite Pargoud, John Pargoud, and Nepetagna Richardson.

The parish seat of Ouachita is Monroe. The parish has a total of 611.0 square miles.

Agriculture: Cotton, rice, grain, forestry, horticultural crops, corn, livestock, timber, and soybeans.

Industry: More than 100 diversified manufacturing plants, wholesale and retail trade.

Tourist Attractions: Louisiana Purchase Gardens and Zoo; Masur Museum of Art; Strauss Playhouse; Operal Club; Emy Lou Biedenharn EL-Song Gardens and Bible Research Center, including rare collection of Bibles and religious manuscripts; other organizations of music, the arts and ballet.

Ouachita's major city is Monroe.


Ouachita Parish, from Wikipedia
Ouachita Parish, from Enlou
Ouachita Parish, School Information
Ouachita Parish, Sheriff' Office
Ouachita Parish, Quick Facts


To add more information about this parish, email Greg at louisiana101.com.



Louisiana Map


Louisiana History (homepage)
Copyright 2009 by Greg English