Parish Index | Home | Site Directory
Formally organized on March 25, 1844, Morehouse lies mostly
in the Mississippi River delta land, amply irrigated by numerous streams
and bayous. It was originally a part of the Ouachita Territory, which extended
from the Mississippi River to the Red River, encompassing a large part of
northeast Louisiana. The earliest settlers arrived in 1796 under the colonization
program of the Spanish governor, Baron De Carondelet. He granted 12
leagues square to the Dutch nobleman Baron De Bastrop, with the provision
that he bring 500 settlers to the area. Abraham Morehouse was one of these
early settlers. The parish and the principal city were named after the two
The parish seat of Morehouse is Bastrop. With an area
totally 794.3 square miles, Morehouse Parish has 19 schools, 1 airport,
and 2 rail lines.
Agriculture: cotton, rice, wheat, corn,
livestock, timber, and soybeans.
Industry: International Paper co.' Morehouse Garment Corp.;
Baltz Manufacturing; Tidewater Manufacturing' Stauffer Chemical; Pellets,
Inc.; grain elevators; cotton gins.
is Morehouse's major city.
Morehouse Parish, from Wikipedia
Morehouse Parish, from Enlou
Morehouse Parish, School Information
Morehouse Parish, Sheriff' Office
Morehouse Parish, General Facts PDF
To add more information about this parish, email Greg at louisiana101.com.
Copyright © 2009 by Greg English