The parish of Iberia possesses a special charm, with its many points of interest attracting widespread attention. Located in the heart of Evangeline Country, it became a parish on October 3, 1868. The parish was first settled by Spnish colonists from Florida, who laid out the >Old Spanish Trail to make a connecting route to their post at San Antonio, Texas. They named the area for the Iberian Peninsula (Spain). The French later settled the area, then the Acadians, and eventually the Americans. Three of the largest salt mines in the world are in Iberia Parish.
The parish seat of Iberia is New Iberia. With an area totally 575.2 square miles.
cotton, sugarcane, timber, corn, rice, vegetable farming, and
Industry: Oil, gas, and related industries; salt and other natural resources; commercial fishing and trapping; hot sauce nd pepper products; rice milling.
New Iberia and Jeanerette, with populations over 5,000, are the two major cities in Iberia Parish.
New Iberia is located on the banks of the famous Bayou Teche. It was first settled in the mid-18th century by a few French families, who attained permission by the Spanish government. Iberia is the ancient name of Spain. Canary Islanders were brought over during the Galvez administration. The Spanish government census of 1788 showed that New Iberia had a population of 190. Fredrick H. Duperier, a sugar planter incorporated the city in 1846, by laying the townsite. During General Banks' Red River campaign, the city fell in the hand of Federal forces. New Iberia became the parish seat in 1868.