Parish

Parish Index | Home | Site Directory

Grant Parish was created by Post-Civil War legislation on March 1, 1869, from the southern part of Winn Parish and the northern part of Rapides. It gets its name from President Ulysses S. Grant. Much of the parish encompasses one of the large divisions of the Kisatchie National Forest.

The parish seat of Grant is Colfax. With an area totally 645.1square miles, Grant Parish has 9 schools, 54 churches, 2 railroad lines, and 1 airport.

Agriculture: soybeans, forestry, beef cattle, pasture grass, corn, and vegetable farming..

Tourist Attractions:
Dogwood Trail, Louisiana Pecan Festival; historical landmarks, including the Old Jail and McNeely Home.

Colfax, the parish seat, is the major city in Grant Parish and was named after President Grant's vice president, Schuyler Colfax.



Grant Parish, Louisiana, From Wikipedia
Grant Parish, Louisiana, From Enlou
Grant Parish, Louisiana, Political Graveyard
Grant Parish, Louisiana, School Information
Grant Parish, Chamber


To add more information about this parish, email Greg at louisiana101.com.



Louisiana Map


Louisiana History (homepage)
Copyright 2009 by Greg English