East Carroll Parish is the northernmost parish, bordering the Mississippi River. The Carroll parishes, East and West, were formed in 1877 by division of the original Carroll (named after Charles Carroll of Carrollton, famous signer of the Declaration of Independence) established in 1832, East Carroll was officially organized on May 11, 1877. English, Scotch, and Irish pioneers from the Carolinas, Georgia, and Tennessee were the early settlers to this area.
The parish seat of East Carroll is Lake Providence. Total area equals 421.5 square miles.
Lake Providence is the major city in East Carroll parish.