Parish Index | Home | Site Directory
French: Paroisse de Claiborne
Claiborne Parish was formed from the County of Natchitoches in 1828. The county seat is originally was selected at Russellville, then due to decrease in population the parish was moved to Overton until 1846. The new Parish seat was next located in Athens until the courthouse was destroyed by fire. The residents determined to find a place that would be centrally located for all of the parishioners was then selected. In the year 1849 Homer was officially selected as the county seat. The new courthouse was constructed in 1850.
Claiborne Parish, Louisiana, From Wikipedia
Claiborne Parish, Louisiana, From Enlou
Claiborne Parish, Louisiana, Assorted links
Claiborne Parish, Louisiana, School Information [UNKNOWN]
Claiborne Parish, Genealogy material
To add more information about this parish, email Greg at louisiana101.com.
Copyright © 2009 by Greg English