Catahoula Parish was formed on March 23, 1808. The parish derived its name from the Tensas Indian name "catoola", which means big, clear lake. However, Catahoula Lake is now in LaSalle Parish, orginally the western half of Catahoula Parish.
The parish seat of Catahoula is Harrisonburg. With an area totally 703.7 square miles, Catahoula Parish has 10 public schools, 49 churches and one airport.
Chief agriculture in Catahoula Parish are cotton, livestock, timber, and soybeans. Industry includes timber and logging.
Catahoula Parish Museum houses prehistoric Indian artifacts and exhibits. Dogwood Trail in the spring; Soybean festival.