Parish

Parish Index | Home | Site Directory

Cameron Parish, among the largest in land area in the state, was organized on March 15, 1870. The parish is said to have taken its name from Simon Cameron, Lincoln's secretary of war. Early records are sketchy at best, and comprise the history of several large southwest Louisiana parishes, including Vermillion and Calcasieu. Many of the early wooden courthouses have been burned, thus destroying records. Early settlers' names include the Elenders, Duhons, Faulks, Heberts, Smiths, and Domingos. Early records of Grand Chenier include the names of Placid Labove, who settled in 1836, and John Smith, John Armstrong, John Sweeney, and James Welse, all settlers who came before 1850. The earliest inhabitants were the Attakapas Indians in the southwesternmost part of the area. Recollections of the early days tell of the enormous orange crops, with some trees producing 5,000 oranges. During the growing season, schooners came from Galveston, Texas, to buy the crops. Despite the devastation caused by Hurricane Audrey and others, the parish has always been rebuilt and continues to grow and prosper.

The parish seat of Cameron is Cameron. With an area totally 1,931.8 square miles, Cameron Parish has 7 schools, and 23 churches.

Agriculture: rice and corn. Industry: Menhaden companies, oil and related industries, fur and wildlife, fishing, shrimping, and vegetable farming.

Cameron has seventy miles of sandy beaches on the Gulf of Mexico; hunting festival and fishing rodeo; Creole Nature Trail; Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge.


Cameron Parish, Louisiana, From Wikipedia
Cameron Parish, Louisiana, From Enlou
Cameron Parish, Louisiana, local website
Cameron Parish, Louisiana, School Information
Cmeron Parish, UsGenWeb


To add more information about this parish, email Greg at louisiana101.com.



Louisiana Map


Louisiana History (homepage)
Copyright 2009 by Greg English