Bossier Parish was carved out of the great
Natchitoches District on February 24, 1843. It was named after
Pierre Evariste Bossier, a descendant of an early settler and a
member of Congress when the parish was formed. Located in the
rich valley of the Red River, the parish has long been known for
its agricultural production. Barksdale Air Force, located in part of the city limits of Bossier
City, has been a major factor in the growth of the parish.
Detailed parish history
The parish seat of Bossier is Benton. With an area totally 838.5 square miles, Bossier Parish has 33 schools, 4 rail lines, and 77 churches.
beef cattle, cotton, corn, hay, and soybeans.
Industry: Playground equipment, mobile homes, oil field equipment and service, concrete and other diversified manufacturing.
Bossier City, is the major city of this northwest Louisiana parish. It's motto is "small enough to care--large enough to serve." In the mid-19th century, it was called Bennett's Bluff. there were two stores located along the Red River: Bennett's Store and Cane's Store. Mrs. Bennett later married Mr. Cane, and the settlement, Cane's Landing, was chartered as a village in 1905. In 1907, it was incorporated as Bossier City.