Allen Parish was formed from the parish of Calcasieu on June 12, 1912. Named after Henry Watkins Allen, famous Confederate governor of Louisiana during the Civil War, it and Jefferson Davis Parish are the newest parishes in the state. At one time it was important as a great lumber producing region. Timber is still the major resource.
The parish seat of Allen is Oberlin. With an area totaling 764.6 square miles, Allen Parish has 10 public schools, 1 airport and 2 rail lines.
Chief agriculture in Allen Parish is rice, timber and soybeans. Industry includes a plywood plant, sawmills, and sulphate paper company.