Acadia Parish was originally part of St. Landry Parish. Established as a separate parish on June 30, 1888, it was settled by the descendants of the Acadians, who were exiled from Nova Scotia and immigrated to Louisiana in the mid-18th century.
The parish seat of Acadia is Crowley. With an area totally 655.3 square miles, Acadia Parish has 25 public schools, 7 private schools, 2 airports and 2 rail lines.
Chief agriculture in Acadia Parish is rice. Industry includes rice milling, garment manufacturing, commerical bags and metal works.
Blue Rose Museum and Heritage Farm Village.