|"LaSalle's Public Announcement Post"
Louise S. McGehee School
This lesson idea can be applied to various time periods such as John Law's attempt to bring folks over, Jean Lafitte's sell of goods, The Spainish plea for settlers, and so on.
Design a poster to attract people to join LaSalle's expedition to the New World. This will be the only source of infomation for these potential travelers. Therefore, you must sell them on the idea of going and what to expect in the New World. The poster should be on half a sheet of posterboard (14x22)
Directions: Your poster should include the following -
1. A description of LaSalle and why he is traveling to the new world.
2. An explanation of when the journey will take place and how it is expected to take.
3. An explanation of where the journey will end, what type of climate and land you expect to find, weither or not the land is inhabited, and how you will live once in the New World. You can include the types of plants, animalsm and human life you might encounter.
4. Describe what type of obstacles, problems, or dangers may occur.
5. Explain what type of provisions and personal items the traveler may take along. (Remember this is the 1680s)
6. Explain what type of provisions and personal items the traveler may take along. (Remember this is the 1680s)
7. Include a map of the proposed voyage from the sponsoring country to the New World and back.
8. Include at least two drawings that relate to the announcement, and make a title for your poster that attracts attention.
9. Include information useful to possible traveler's such as age limits, health requirements, and special skills needed.
10. Include a list of the sources you used to gather information for the poster on the back along with your name and class.
BE CREATIVE AND PERSUASIVE! You want to recruit settlers.
Information on LaSalle