Teaching Longitude and Latitude
HOT SPRINGS SCHOOL DISTRICT
HOT SPRINGS, AR
- Here is a great way for students to learn about longitude and latitude
by using a hands on activity. It is a great visual tool. This activity
can be used for small/large/or individual groups.
- 2 different colors of highlighters
- a copy of a map of the world or what ever region one is using
- After discussing longitude and latitude give each group or student
a copy of a map and a list of longitudes and latitudes as well as towns
for students to look up.
- Go over the directions to the whole class before letting the students
start the activity.
- Have the students look at the first longitude and latitude.
- Ask them to find what town was found at the longitude and latitude
on the list.
- Have the students to highlight the longitude and latitude in order
for them to find the town or longitude and latitude of the town on the
- Now have the students finish the rest of the list. The students are
to write their answers onto the list.
- If working in small groups each student is to participate in the activity.
Have each student sign their name by each thing they do on the list with