La Salle's Adventure
(Note: round your answers to the nearest whole number)
1. La Salle sailed from La Rochelle, France, to the
New World by way of Santo Domingo. If he left on August 1, 1684,
and arrived in Santo Domingo on September 27, how many days did he
2. If he set sail from Santo Domingo on November 25,
1684, and arrived on the Gulf coast on January 1, 1685, how many
days did he sail?
3. How many days in total did it take La Salle and
his crew to sail from France to the Gulf?
4. Using the answer from question #3, if La Salle's
expedition traveled 5000 nautical miles in ______ days, how far
did they travel each day?
5. Using the number of nautical miles you figured in
question #4, if La Salle and his crew were able to sail for only
10 hours each day because of the wind, how many knots (nautical
miles per hour) were the ships traveling?
6. Today, travel by airplane is much faster than travel by ship. If you took a trip of 5000 miles by air and averaged 625 miles per hour, how many hours would the trip take?
Material above is Copyright ©1997 Texas Historical Commission. You are free to use information or images from these pages for any non-commercial purpose. Any use of this information should credit the Texas Historical Commission.
Web design copyright © 1999 by Snowhawk